Apr

Belén’s Big Girl Room

I have been talking about Belén’s Big Girl Room for some time.  It has been a very fun project for me because I have never in my entire life been able to design and decorate a room from the ground up with a blank slate.  There have always been certain pieces of furniture I needed to make do with or other items I could not change, so the blank slate made this especially fun.

The wall color is more-or-less the existing color of this room when we bought the house and used it for our bedroom.  It is very versatile and I really love it and thought it might make a good little girl’s room if matched with hot pink because the darkness of the walls helps make sleeping easier.  I find out later, after the entire room was finished and Andy had repainted a fresh coat of paint using something very similar to the old color that not only does he not think the wall color is light enough but he thinks the room is strange.  Might have been nice to know earlier, but I guess he thought better than criticizing the decor choices of a pregnant lady…

That said, let me introduce you to Belén’s new Big Girl Room.

My goals for the room were simple:

1. I wanted it to be girly but something she could grow with for perhaps her entire childhood.  I wanted to design the room once and not redo it every two years.

2. I wanted it to be centered around a fun, funky round rug.

3. It needed to have hot pink if we were to keep the existing wall color.

4. Finally and most importantly, I wanted it to have international diversity with elements from our travels fitting for a little girl.

5. Oh right, and I couldn’t spend a fortune on it and therefore tried to be as frugal as possible and only splurge on really key items for the room.

The night stand is an itso storage cube from Target, $8.99

Pink dog is Wahoo Inflatable Dog from amazon, first birthday gift, $34.98

Pink jeweled chandelier night light is from amazon, $19.99

The entire room was designed around the round rug from overstock.com which was purchased last fall for I believe around $199 and then I splurged for the super plush rug pad for lots of spring for jumping and padding for falling.

Bunk bed from Mor Furniture

Kaleidoscope Circles Bedding from Land of Nod, $159

Owl made by Nana for Belén’s 2nd Birthday

Xhilaration Sheet set from Target, $18.99

Quilt and pillowcase Made by Nana, another 2nd birthday gift, she will be posting the pattern she created for them here.

“Valentina” or Tina, Valentine’s Day Gift from Andy and me, our name for the Coco doll from goodbyebluemonday etsy shop, $38

Chandelier, antique from local shop, $100

Pink Velvet Curtains from Overstock,  $36.99

PDF, Printable kit, Sweet Paper Dolls, paperglitter etsy shop, $3.99 and then a few painstaking hours of cutting out every little detail

Paper lanterns were a gift from a friend from Shanghai but I have seen them at Cost Plus World Market for less than $10

I love these little paper dolls and they bring the international diversity we (I) was looking for in the room!

Mama bear in high chair was mine from childhood.

My First Table and Chairs, Pottery Barn Kids, $159

Fisher Price Tea Set, Christmas gift from her Auntie, $18.99

Zelda Pink Flower Monkey, $99

Toy box (with toddler proof pads) built by Andy.

Circo Shopping cart, 2nd Birthday gift from the Campbell’s, $22.99

“B” Letter Wall Hanging, Craft Cuts, $20

Vase, Garage Sale, $1

Lucky Chinese Golden Pig Bank, something we picked up while living in Shanghai, $2

Porcelain Doll from when I was a kid

Antique Dresser made by my Great Grandfather (Belén’s Great Great Grandpa)

Skip Hop Zoo Pack Little Kid Backpack, amazon, $19.95

By the time I got to this wall, I had exceeded my budget and therefore couldn’t get the alphabet hanging I really wanted.  My mom (Nana) offered to create this wall hanging and I am so glad she did because I like it even better than the $100 hanging I was coveting before she came up with this.  I love how it uses unique animals for each letter!

And last but not least, a Chinese calendar wall hanging from my friend Cathy in Shanghai.

I personally love how the room turned out and Belén seems pretty smitten with it.  For the longest time it was just a rug with a thick pad and we would spend time every night in there jumping around playing on it, getting her excited about her “Big Girl Room.”  I really think having a fun new room made the transition from crib to bed much easier as she thought it was “cool” to be sleeping in her new “Big Girl Room.”

My only wish for the room was that Andy liked it or at least didn’t think it was strange.  But then again, when I asked him what he would have done for the room, it is probably good he let me have free reign.

What do you think?  Do you like it?  What is your favorite element of the room?

{ 14 comments }

Sara Mockli April 25, 2011 at 8:24 am

I looove this room. I love the contrast of the chandelier with the kiddie decor, and I adore the bright colors you used to decorate the room. Nana Jane out did herself. That owl is adorable.

alecia April 26, 2011 at 7:50 am

I know, the owl was a last minute birthday addition from Nana Jane and it really is perfect!

Holli High April 25, 2011 at 8:40 am

So adorable Alecia! I love bedding set your mom made. You’ve inspired me to start collecting pieces for Mary’s “Big Girl Room.” It’s a few years off, but you’ve shown that it’s way better to collect perfect pieces in travels, etc. Mary will have her great grandpa’s childhood dresser in her room too. Great way to connect with older generations in a tangible way. :)

alecia April 26, 2011 at 7:49 am

Thanks! And thanks for stopping by the blog and commenting. It is fun to start collecting as it allows you to be very methodical about what you want for the room.

Erica@PLRH April 25, 2011 at 10:03 am

Awesome room! Picking a favorite element is difficult. I love the overall color scheme. but my single favorite item is the round rug. Nice pick on that. So much better than a ordinary rectangle.

I feel your husband’s pain a little bit in reverse. Whenever I tried to do something fun & funky with the boys’ rooms they thought I had lost my mind.
Erica@PLRH´s last blog post ..The Egg Hunt

alecia April 26, 2011 at 7:48 am

Thanks. I agree the round rug is just so much more interesting. I know my husband thought I lost my mind on this project, but oh well. :)

Tamara April 25, 2011 at 10:41 am

I think it looks great. I love the walls too. My favorite little element is the chandelier. I wouldn’t have noticed it if it wasn’t for you pointing it out. Once I saw it though I loved it. The whole room is simple and not too cluttered but you can tell each element was well thought out.
Tamara´s last blog post ..Independent Woman – Boise Child Photographer

alecia April 26, 2011 at 7:48 am

I love the chandelier. By the time I figured out the room needed an antique chandelier, Andy had had it with my big girl room decorating. So I had to use “my own money” to splurge on that one, but I really thought it was a key piece to pull it all together. :) Then I had to talk him into installing it but that was another story. Let’s just say the not wanting your very pregnant wife on a ladder working with antique electrical wires worked in my favor on that one.

Alicia April 25, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Very cute!!! I love it!

Nana Jane April 25, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I love the room because it really is a room Belén seems to enjoy and loves to spend time there. That is the greatest measure of success! Nice job, my dear! :-)

alecia April 26, 2011 at 7:45 am

Well thank you for all of the additions you made for it!! Belén loves everything Nana makes!

Jaimee April 26, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I loooooove this room! Maybe Andy’s weirdness with it is that it is not the traditional little girl room with light pink and lace? But I have to tell you, that’s what makes it soooo awesome. Not that light pink and lace aren’t great, but I love the dark brown with the hot pink. The OWL is amazing! My favorite part is the little paper dolls. I think it’s wonderful that you guys put so much thought into bringing diversity into your family. The little details in the room really make it special.

Ted tried to help me with Diego’s room and I tried to listen, but in the end, not many of his ideas were considered…I just wanted to do it my way. :-) He might tell you a few things are strange. hahaha.

Cathy Song April 26, 2011 at 11:11 pm

I love this room! I love all the details there and my favorite part is the alphabet hanging. It is so lovely and it is an art!

Diana April 27, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I LOVE it. You should submit it to Ohdeeoh if you haven’t already.

I did Henry’s room in bright blues, oranges and gray with an airplane theme. And my mother in law made an airplane quilt to go with. Lucky we have these quilters in the family, because I sure don’t know how to do any of that!

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }