I’ve seen all of the touching posts on Facebook with folks saying why they are thankful. For some reason, I didn’t feel like I needed to partake. I would just be saying the same thing as everyone else and why waste the words.
But then one of my Spanish-speaking friends posted something about El Día de Acción de Gracias and it caused me to pause and reconsider my position on a doing a “Thankful” post. El Día de Acción de Gracias is the Spanish translation for Thanksgiving. The word that stuck out was acción or action. The literal translation is “The Day of Action of Thanks.” Action. Do I do a good job of actually showing people I am thankful for them? Absolutely not, in fact, I am abysmal in this department.
In my defense, I have reasons for sucking at sharing how thankful I am. The biggest reason is if I pause for even a moment to even think about how much I appreciate a special person in my life, tears immediately well up in my eyes. And they just did, now I need to go touch up my makeup. On a number of occasions, I have started talking about how awesome my sister is or how lucky I am to be married to Andy or how great my kids are and it turned into an absolute sobfest with me the only one crying. In person, I am typically quite composed and sobbing like a baby doesn’t exactly fit with that image. Plus it makes people feel uncomfortable. So needless to say, this is something I can improve on.
Anyway, so today, on this very special American holiday celebrating thanks, I am going to join the ranks of all of the people who do a better job of showing their thanks than I do and give you 30 reasons why I am thankful at this exact moment. And let the tears begin (for me.)
1. I am thankful for my husband, Andy. I feel so fortunate to be married to my best friend…someone who gets me, appreciates me and will do anything for me. He is also the best father I could have ever wished for my children. He is my perfect partner and we have each other’s backs.
2. I am thankful for my oldest daughter, Belén Rose. She is beautiful, smart, funny and used her mad skills to write name cards for everyone coming to Thanksgiving dinner in an hour or so.
3. I am thankful for my youngest daughter, Eloise Mae. She is full of personality and charm and I cannot wait to start having conversations with her.
4. I am thankful that my family is healthy.
5. I am thankful that my family is happy.
6. I am thankful for my mom, Jane, who tirelessly makes incredible outfits and fabric what-nots for both myself and my girls. Not only that, she loves to babysit her granddaughters and often drops what she is doing, at the spur of a moment to help me out if I have a meeting run late and need someone to pick up the girls from daycare. She adores our girls and they adore her. My mom was also an amazing role model for me and taught me that you can juggle a career and family. She constantly encourages me and reminds me that I can do anything I set my mind to and also sets an example that not all rules apply to everyone.
7. I am thankful for a mother in-law, Eileen, who is generous, caring and classy and is always thinking about how she can help us out. She loves her granddaughters dearly and they love her as well. It is also so wonderful to have a mother and mother in-law who are great friends and enjoy babysitting together. We are so fortunate. Eileen is beautiful inside and out.
8. I am thankful for my sister, Anna, who is truly an amazing woman. Every hour I spend with her, she amazes me in some new way, with her knowledge, experience and insightfulness. Even though she is three years younger than I am, I continually learn from her. If I could, I would hang out with her every single day. She’s just cool like that.
9. I am thankful for my dad, Marvin, who has always been the quiet support behind the scenes. I recognize many girls do not have the opportunity to have such a special relationship with their father and I truly feel much of my success in my life can be attributed to the examples both he and my mom provided for me as I was growing up.
10. I am thankful for my father in-law, Ray, who could not be a better friend, role model and advocate. He is a genuinely generous person who talks only with praise for people. He was also an incredible role model for Andy. Me, my family, our neighborhood and our entire city benefit by having Ray Hoobing a leader in the community.
11. I am thankful for my sister in-law, Erin, who over the years has become a great friend who I can talk to about anything. She is one of my favorite running partners, as the topics of conversation vary from, well, lets just say they vary a lot and I don’t have similar conversations with anyone else. I also really appreciate the interest Erin takes in all of our lives. She is very considerate and thoughful.
12. I am thankful for my other sister in-law, Chrissy, who my girls adore and talk about non-stop, even though they do not get to see her very often since she lives in California. Chrissy is a wonderful, hard-working, caring person who we wish we could spend more time with.
13. I am thankful for SO many amazing friends I could fill pages of description of each and everyone one of you and all you bring to my and my family’s lives.
14. I am thankful for having a well-paying job that challenges me. Every day I am excited to go to work where I know I will learn new things and be pushed to grow professionally.
15. I am thankful for my co-workers. I am not exaggerating at all when I say I could not work with smarter, nicer people. This team is capable of anything! Bring on world peace.
16. I am thankful to live in a country that provides so many of the opportunities that the United States does. We live in a place that many people in the world would love to be. We can criticize our government without being arrested, we can vote, we have good roads and public services. We have sewage treatment plants, we have clean water. We are very lucky.
17. I am thankful I have been able to travel the world as it has given me a different perspective on many things. I am also grateful to be able to afford to continue to travel as it is something that is very important to both Andy and me.
18. I am thankful I am able to exercise, especially run, mountain bike and do (hot) yoga. On so many mornings when I don’t want to put in the effort, I talk myself into it with a reminder that I do this because I can.
19. I am thankful for wine, especially good red wine.
20. I am thankful for La Croix sparkling water. Without it (and #18), I have no idea what I would drink.
21. I am thankful for our house. It is small and quaint and cute and I absolutely love it. I especially love our backyard with its Argentine parrilla and fire pit.
22. I am thankful for Costco where 90% of our “home-cooked” meals come from.
23. I am thankful for online shopping and especially the free 2-day shipping that comes as an amazon prime member. Fitting shopping into the schedules of full-time working parents is only possible with shopping online.
24. I am thankful for my iPhone. I wanted a device like the iPhone back in 2003 and I waited, mostly impatiently, until the technology all finally came together and I bought my first iPhone in 2008. I cannot even remember how we communicated before it arrived (well, actually I can but it sounds more dramatic saying I can’t.)
25. I am thankful for Rotary International. I love knowing people who base their decisions on a four-way test that asks:
1. Is it the TRUTH?
2. Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3. Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4. Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?”
26. I am thankful for books. I love to read.
27. I am thankful for blogging. It helps me sort through my thoughts even when I never write a single word.
28. I am thankful for being educated. The world would be a very different place without an education.
29. I am thankful for Netflix streaming. I know it sounds petty but those of you with toddlers and young kids know what I am talking about.
30. I am thankful for SO many other things I don’t know what to close with. I will go with dark chocolate, especially the really good dark chocolate with chopped almonds and sea salt. My mouth waters just thinking of it.
What are you giving thanks for today?
- For My Companion, I am Thankful Tonight is one of those nights where I am thankful, thankful for my companion. After the day dished out everything it...
- Thankful Peace. Smiles. People who follow up. People who do what they say they are going to do. Stability. Change. Books....
- Thanksgiving Program The feast was pretty great as well but I have to say my favorite part was watching Belén feeling so...
- Thanksgiving 2009 In lieu of the typical prayer, Ray, Andy's dad, gave the prayer. He went around the table and expressed why...
- Reasons #499, #500 and #501 Why I love Boise in the summer: New friends at every event Daddy pulling the Burley to activities all around...